Thank you to everyone who attended DataFest 2009 on Thursday, October 29th, at the Nashville Public Library. Total attendance was 181.
"U.S. Government Information – Se Habla Español" session materials
Selected Federal Agency Publications Pages with Spanish-Language Documents (handout in Word)
The DataFest is held in conjuction with the School Library Collection Fair and is followed by the Tenn-Share Fall Conference on Friday, Oct. 30.
||Encyclopedia of Animals, Steve Strother, EBSCO
||Gov't Info: Health, Sandra Martin & Jennifer Lyon, Vanderbilt
||ABI Inform Complete and EntrePreneurship, Linda Cubias, ProQuest
||Connecting with Teens Through the Internet, Kyle Barber, Nashville PL
||TEL Training: Gale Databases
Julie Pepera, Gale
||Grzimek's Animal Life, Joy Murray, Gale
||ReferenceUSA, Bill Carlson, Reference USA
||Business Source Premier/Complete, Steve Strother, EBSCO
||Multi-Lingual Health Databases, Steve Strother, EBSCO
||Ambrose Video 2.0, Allen Dohra, Ambrose Video Pub
||Mergent Online, Paul Hazlett, Mergent
||Gov't Info:Energy & Science, Tim Byrne, OSTI
||TEL Training: Heritage Quest
Linda Cubias, ProQuest
||ProQuest Family Health, Barbara Brazis, ProQuest
||MyLibrarydv, Mike Poynter, Recorded Books
||Morningstar Investment Res Ctr, Camille O'Connor, Morningstar
||Lunch on your own
|Tn Consortial Purchases Discussion (Lyrasis lunch: pre-registration required)
||Global Issues In Context, Joy Murray, Gale
||Environmental Sciences, Linda Cubias ProQuest
||Gov't Information in Spanish, Jim Veatch & Justine Veatch, Bartram Trail Regional Library System
||Westlaw Campus Research and Westlaw Patron Access, Todd Hawkins, West ThomsonReuters
TEL Training: LearningExpress Library
Sue Maszaros, TSLA
||BYKI Online, Mike Poynter, Recorded Books
||GREENR, Barbara Parish, Gale
||CultureGrams, Barbara Brazis, ProQuest
||Mango Languages, Drew Kelly, Mango
||Career Transitions, Joy Murray, Gale
||Gov't Info: Business, Robbi De Peri, Vanderbilt
||Environment Complete, Steve Strother, EBSCO
||TEL Training: Points of View Ref Center
Kathy Kiely, EBSCO
||powerspeak, Joy Murray, Gale
||Career Library, Steve Strother, EBSCO
||Gov't Info: FDLP & GPO Update, Ashley Dahlen, GPO
||Innovative Interfaces Users' Group meeting
||TN Gov't Documents Roundtable meeting
||TN Consortial Purchases Committee meeting
||TEL Training: Newsbank
Ren Dimond, NewsBank
|OverDrive Digital Bookmobile featuring downloadable video, audio, and ebooks. Jamie Kelly, Overdrive
Vendor Demonstrations (by subject category)
Vendor Demonstrations (by vendor)
Ambrose Video Publishing
- Multi-Lingual Health Database We all share health concerns, regardless of our native language; unfortunately, it's difficult to trust the accuracy and quality of health care information available on the Web today. Offer patrons in your community access to reliable health care information in up to 17 different languages with Multilingual Health Databases™ from EBSCO Publishing.
- Encyclopedia of Animals EBSCO Animals has been updated and improved and is now called the Encyclopedia of Animals. It is no longer a standalone resource but is available through the following EBSCO product families: Science Reference Center, Middle Search and Primary Search and is available via the EBSCOhost, Searchasaurus, or Kids Search interface.
- Career Library Career Library™ offers a comprehensive information resource for career and college research. Five user-friendly components help users match their interests to occupations, education prospects, and more. Created for individual researchers and career/education technology professionals, Career Library is a valuable addition to libraries and career centers.
- Environment Complete Environment Complete™ offers deep coverage in applicable areas of agriculture, ecosystem ecology, energy, renewable energy sources, natural resources, marine & freshwater science, geography, pollution & waste management, environmental technology, environmental law, public policy, social impacts, urban planning, and more.
- Business Source Premier/Complete Business Source® Complete is the world's definitive scholarly business database, providing the leading collection of bibliographic and full-text content. Business Source Complete exceeds all other databases available in terms of its premium content of peer-reviewed, business related journals and also includes case studies, industry reports, conference proceedings, market research reports, SWOT Analyses, etc.
Steve Strother, Regional Sales Manager, sstrother [at] ebscohost [dot] com
- powerspeak Learn Spanish, French, German, Chinese and Spanish ESL via courses with multi-sensory activities like an adventure story containing rich graphics, audio, video, music and an intuitive way to track progress. Practice speaking and writing using modules that simulate conversations with native speakers. Includes scored online activities, lessons and games. Not available to K-12 schools.
- Grzimek's Animal Life Knowledge portal based on the acclaimed Grzimek’s Encyclopedia where users go not only to find specific information, but to explore, discover and learn about animals using a highly engaging interface, multiple search paths, multimedia, and gateways that allow experts, educators, and students to interact. Includes dissections.
- Career Transitions Online career center that walks users through the job-search process from beginning to end. Offers a complete, personalized and guided experience from assessing strengths and interests, to exploring new opportunities, to improving chances of landing a job. A solution for libraries where career research has tapped out staff resources.
- Global Issues in Context Just like the president’s morning press conference, Global Issues delivers an international angle on topics of universal interest. Explains the historical and contemporary conditions necessary to understand current world events and their ramifications. Presents issues of contemporary interest: social, political, military, economic, environmental, science related, health related, or cultural.
- GREENR Over 200 key topics cover environment, energy and sustainability from multi-disciplinary points of view. Related topics help students see the big picture. GREENR also includes 140 country portals. Includes periodicals, news, academic journals, podcasts, videos, images, conference proceedings. Full text content. News updated 3 times per day!!
Joy Murray, Strategic Product Specialist
Barb Parish, Account Executive, Academic Market, barbara.parish [at] cengage [dot] com
Jarrod Roth, Account Executive, Public/K12 Market, Jarrod.Roth [at] cengage [dot] com
- Mango Languages New York Public Library's Best of Reference Award winner Mango languages is the fun, easy to use, online language learning program for libraries. Librarians love not only how patron friendly we are but also that we offer unlimited access (remote access is included) with no user license limitations.
Drew Kelly, Sales & Development, drew.kelly [at] mangolanguages [dot] com
- Mergent Online (formerly known as Moody's Investor Service) provides global company and Industry information on U.S. and International Public companies. Access too over 1 million global private companies courtesy of Dunn n Bradstreet. Historical end of day stock pricing on active and inactive companies dating back to 1960.
Paul Hazlett, Paul.Hazlett [at] mergent [dot] com
- Morningstar Investment Research CenterMorningstar Investment Research Center is an all-inclusive investment research database. It provides data on over 35,000 stocks and mutual funds as well as commentary on over 4,000 securities. We will look at our newly added real-time data and exporting features, as well as create a hypothetical portfolio for review.<.li>
Camille O'Connor, camille.oconnor [at] morningstar [dot] com
- OverDrive Download Video and Digital Bookmobile Take a tour of the community outreach vehicle that promotes your digital library services. Hands-on learning stations give visitors an opportunity to browse your download collection, sample devices, and learn how to check out eBooks, audiobooks, music, and video from your library. OverDrive serves 9,000 public, college and K-12 libraries.
Jamie Kelly, Marketing & Event Associate, jkelly [at] overdrive [dot] com
- ProQuest Family Health Covers an enormous range of subjects of value – from sports injuries to women’s health, from food and nutrition to midwifery, from eye care to dentistry. It includes important general medical journals such as The Lancet and The New England Journal of Medicine as well as a strong selection of consumer and news magazines.
Barbara Brazis, Senior Account Executive
- ABI/INFORM Complete and EntrePreneurship Join a session on ABI/INFORM and ProQuest business products for an update and to get latest tips. Learn best practices to maximize the value of many new ABI/INFORM features and resources, including the new ABI/INFORM Browse tab and the new ProQuest Entrepreneurship database
Linda Cubias, Region Trainer
- CultureGrams Discover the world with CultureGrams, concise, reliable country reports that detail everyday life from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe. Local experts document the intimate details of each country’s customs, traditions, and daily life, with unique perspectives on culture ranging from attitudes, greetings, and gestures, to the arts, recreation, daily diet, and more.
Barbara Brazis, Senior Account Executive
- Environmental Sciences An update on the environmental series from ProQuest including search tips on the CSA Illumina platform and a what’s new update on content such as the recent addition of over 1.1 million deep indexing records. Databases covered include Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management (ESPM), Meteorological & Geoastrophysical Abstracts (MGA), and the Environmental Impact Statements Full-Text database (EIS).
Linda Cubias, Region Trainer
- MyLibrarydv is the world’s first video-on-demand service aimed at public libraries. The annual fee is based on the size of the library. Videos include classic, independent, and foreign movies, travel from Rick Steves’ Europe and Globe Trekker, cooking with Julia Child and America’s Test Kitchen, kids channel, and many more. Over 650 videos!
- BYKI Online is a powerful language-learning system that uses flashcards to teach your patrons a foreign language. Features include over 70 languages, ESL, pronunciation analysis, cultural resources, links to on-line foreign language communities, progress tracking, learning activities, picture association, and library administrative site with comprehensive reporting. Cost is based on size of library.
Mike Poynter, Library Representative
mpoynter [at] recordedbooks [dot] com
- ReferenceUSA ReferenceUSA databases contain over 14 million U.S. businesses and 210 million consumer listings. This valuable information is ideal for discovering employment opportunities, as a business-marketing tool and as a research and reference tool.
Bill Carlson bill.carlson [at] infousa [dot] com
- Westlaw Campus Research and Westlaw Patron Access Full-text information, time-saving search tools, and an easy-to-use interface: Campus Research is the superior Legal, Business & News research service powered by Westlaw and designed specifically for the needs of librarians and college students. It offers full-text information on a wide range of academic disciplines - information that can't easily be found on the Internet or any other readily available source.
Todd Hawkins, TN Gov't/Academic Representative, firstname.lastname@example.org
Free Government Info Demonstrations
Teens are "IN"…..Appliqué vests are "OUT": How to Connect with Teens through the Internet (25 minutes)
Forget surfing the web, today's teens are more tech savvy than we'll ever be. How do you keep up with what your teens are viewing online? How do you stay relevant as their librarian? Kyle Barber, Teen Librarian at the Nashville Public Library, will show you some cool sites to impress even your geekiest teen.
Online Health Resources for Your Patrons (55 minutes)
Presenters: Sandra Martin, Assistant Director, and Jennifer Lyon, Medical Librarian, Vanderbilt’s Eskind Biomedical Library
Discussion of reliable resources on general health, drugs, nutrition, individual maladies, and men’s, women’s, and teen health.
Healthfinder. - http://www.healthfinder.gov
Mayo Clinic Health Oasis. - http://www.mayo.edu
Medlineplus from the National Library of Medicine. - http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/
Energy and Science Databases from OSTI (55 minutes)
Presenter: Tim Byrne, U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Scientific and Technical Information
The presentation will cover Department of Energy databases and federated search tools for scientific and technical information, including over five million full-text documents. We also will cover the soon-to-be-released ScienceEducation.gov.
Science Accelerator http://www.scienceaccelerator.gov/
Information Bridge http://www.osti.gov/bridge/
U.S. Government Information – Se Habla Español (55 minutes)
Presenters: Jim Veatch, Technical Services Manager for the Bartram Trail Regional Library System, and
Justine Veatch, former cataloger, LibraryHQ SiteSource Project
Many libraries are faced with meeting information needs of patrons whose native language is Spanish. Many of the government publications do not get into the Federal Depository Library Program – even when the English-language equivalent is included. This session focuses on Spanish language items that are in electronic form and can easily be integrated into library collections.
Fugitive Spanish-language government documents: http://www.worldcat.org/profiles/jveatch/lists/915101
Free Online Business Resources (25 minutes)
Presenter: Robbi De Peri, Business Librarian, Vanderbilt’s Walker Management Library
Discussion of reliable sources of business and financial data and statistics.
Yahoo Finance http://finance.yahoo.com/
Business Data and Statistics http://www.business.gov/expand/business-data/
Recovery.gov -- U.S. White House http://www.recovery.gov/
Economic Indicators – U.S. Congress. Joint Economic Committee http://www.gpoaccess.gov/indicators/index.html
FDLP & GPO Update (25 minutes)
Presenter: Ashley Dahlen, Librarian, Government Printing Office
Federal Depository Libraries have free access to lots of valuable Federal publications, access to 5 Federal agency databases that are normally subscription based, as well as free catalog records for FDLP materials. Learn about how the network of depository libraries “Keep America Informed” if you are not a depository library, and discover more if you already are!
Featured Sites: FDLP Desktop www.fdlp.gov
TN Consortial Purchasing Project
A session/meeting for anyone interested in discussing or participating in the Tennessee Consortial Purchasing Project (formerly called Lyrasis group purchases), will be held from 12:15-1:30. A review of the Project will be presented, then the session will be open for questions and a discussion of future directions.
A limited number of free lunches (graciously sponsored by Lyrasis) are available. To reserve a lunch, complete the form. If we run out of lunches, the meeting is still open to all (you just have to arrange your own lunch!).
Presenters/Facilitators: DeAnne Luck, Tenn-Share; Mary Ellen Pozzebon, MTSU; Theresa Leidtka, UT Chattanooga,; Leah Allison, St. George's Independent School; Rob Aaron, Lyrasis
Various groups take advantage of the DataFest to hold meetings centered around certain products or topics. The meetings start at 4:00 and must be completed by the library's closing announcements (the library closes at 6:00).
Innovative Interfaces Users' Group Meeting
Contact: Scott Cohen, Jackson State CC, scohen [at] jscc [dot] edu
Tenn-Share Electronic Resources Committee
Contacts: DeAnne Luck, Tenn-Share; Leah Allison, St. George's Independent School
TN GODORT (Government Documents Roundtable) Meeting
Contact: Larry Romans, Vanderbilt University, larry.romans [at] Vanderbilt [dot] Edu